Tugas Softskill 3
Nama : Khusniana Pratiwi
NPM : 11209142
Kelas : 4EA14
A noun phrase is a phrase which includes a noun (also called head) and optionally modifiers.
Love is a beautiful feeling. (Love is a noun phrase without modifiers. However, a beautiful feeling is a noun phrase that includes a noun, feeling, and the determiner a and the adjective beautiful).
My house is over there. (My house is a noun phrase which consists of the noun house and a modifier – the possessive adjective my)
Possible noun modifiers
A noun phrase may optionally contain noun modifiers. If these modifiers are placed before the noun they are called pre-modifiers. However, if they are placed after the noun, they are called post-modifiers. Possible noun modifiers include the following:
– articles (the, a),
– demonstratives (this, that)
– numerals (two, five, etc.)
– possessives (my, their, etc.)
– quantifiers (some, many, etc.).
In English, determiners are usually placed before the noun;
2. adjectives (the delicious food)
3. complements, in the form of a prepositional phrase (such as: the student of physics), or a That-clause (the idea that the world is a small village )
Functions of a noun phrase
Noun phrases can function as subjects, objects:
– That sophisticated woman is beautiful. (That sophisticated woman is a noun phrase that functions as a subject.)
– I like the book that you bought. (the book that you bought is a noun phrase that functions as an object.)
What are determiners?
A determiner is used to modify a noun. It indicates reference to something specific or something of a particular type. This function is usually performed by articles, demonstratives, possessive determiners, or quantifiers.
Determiners vs pronouns
Determiners are followed by a noun.
- The man
- This book
- Some people
Subject pronouns ( I , you , he , etc.) and possessive pronouns (mine, yours, his, etc.) cannot be determiners because they can never be followed by a noun.